Daily Prompts · My Life

The Day Things Changed Pt. 1

One of my favorite photos of “Ginger”.

October 21st, 2016….

I can remember this day just like it was yesterday. It was a beautiful Friday, the sun was shining and the weather was perfect. I woke up in a great mood and was in good spirits. At the time I was employed with three different companies- AMF Bowling Center, Pier 1 Imports, and Joann Fabrics and I loved them all. I was a bartender at AMF, and a sales associate at the others. I would work at the bowling center on the weekends and then throughout the week I would work at Pier 1 and Joann. 

Working at AMF was convenient because it was literally two minutes from my home, fast paced, fun and easy money, plus the tips were amazing! Getting $5-$20 tips just to pop open a beer or mix a drink was enough to expand my bartending interest. A part-time job couldn’t get any better than that honestly.

Pier 1 Imports is one of my favorite home décor stores and helped revamp my interest in Interior Design. Working there was pretty cool because I was able to decorate and set up displays, help customers with finding the perfect décor for their homes, the employee discount caused me to purchase a few beautiful pieces, and since I learned so quickly the store manager was in the process of training me for a management position. I was very excited about that because of course my income would have increased!

Although I had only been working at Joann Fabric briefly, it was very beneficial to my crafting hobby. The employee discount was amazing so I begin to purchase way more crafting supplies just because. I have a hoard of crafting supplies thanks to Joann! People would always ask me why I always worked three jobs but it was because I loved to be occupied at all times. And I’m young so why not work everyday and save money?

On October 21st, 2016 my life made an abrupt change for the worse. It was a normal Friday and I was scheduled to work at both Joann and AMF. Well just like any other day I was super happy to be heading to work and took my usual selfies before my shift. That day I had a great shift and then I made the commute to go home and change into my bowling uniform. I was excited to be heading to AMF because Fridays were my “money-making” shifts and the best day period because we (coworkers and I) would have the most fun and have drinks after our shift. While heading to work I was running about three minutes late and there was traffic but I had no worries. This particular two minute drive to work changed everything for me.

As I waited at a red light to make a U-turn to get to the center, I started to apply some mascara to my eyelashes… Just like it happened yesterday, I felt an extreme thump followed by a loud commotion, I was shifted to the passenger seat and then I felt a few spins. In complete shock I realized I had just been hit and immediately begin to panic. Due to my fear of airbags I quickly tried to push my seat all the way back and braced for the impact. For some reason my seat would not go back further. Being that the airbag did not deploy right away I struggled to get out of my seatbelt and rushed out of the car fearing I was about to be smacked with the shit. I must say that was one of the scariest moments of my life and that’s only because I’ve heard horrific stories about airbags and the pain they cause.

A happy selfie right before my shift.


Since I was in complete shock and super dizzy all I could do was scream and cry and lean onto the side of my car. I felt so dazed and confused and didn’t know what to do. I remember seeing the back of my “Ginger”- my car- and then crying harder because “she” was my everything. All I could see was bumper damage and I shouted out, “MY CAR, OH MY GOODNESS MY CAR IS RUINED!” I was distraught and pissed off but I didn’t have time to think about it too much because that was when I noticed the car that hit me. It was a little ugly small red car and it was completely totaled with all of the airbags deployed.

Numerous drivers stopped to check on me to make sure I was okay. I must say there are still nice and caring people in this country and that day proved it. One of my coworkers who just so happened to be getting off from the center rushed to me and tried to calm me down. She called the manager on duty and made them aware of the accident. I was beyond grateful for everyone’s presence and glad the other driver was okay as well. Shortly after, the paramedics arrived and attempted to relax me but I was still in shock. My blood pressure was highly elevated, my whole body felt numb, and for some odd reason I was worried about losing my job. Very silly thought being I was just in a car accident!

Everything happened so quickly that day. I was rushed to the emergency room and panicked the whole ten minute drive there. I couldn’t speak properly when calling my mother, I remember her thinking I was seriously injured and dying (it’s funny now but not then). I was very happy and relieved to see her at the hospital so that calmed me a bit. Plus, my nurse Danny was very handsome and kept a smile on my face. I’m sure I was his favorite patient that day because we ended up exchanging numbers **cough cough**! I mean after all he was the first man to see my bare butt after a few minutes to give me a shot to calm my nerves- so that was fair enough (LOL)! Anyways, Danny warned me that I would be in extreme pain the next day and oh my goodness he was absolutely correct about that.

I woke up the next day and could barely move a muscle. The pain was excruciating and almost had me thinking I was paralyzed! I was able to follow up with my doctor that Monday and she took me out of work for two weeks. PISSED was not the word for my anger! All I could think about was my ruined car, losing out on money, and possibly losing my jobs.

Three days after the accident I was finally able to see my “Ginger” at a towing company. I sat in complete silence just looking at the damage and then I broke down in tears. I didn’t realize how badly my baby was injured. I hadn’t seen the side, I had only seen the back bumper and totally missed the side. The airbags were deployed on the passenger sides, my rear tire was pushed outward, the backseat was pushed forward, and the gas can could have exploded. All I could think about was what if my little sisters had been riding with me? They would have been seriously injured with possible broken legs. I was so grateful they were not present! Looking at my “Ginger” all of the memories I had with her played in my head. I had so many memories with that car and had planned on keeping her as a backup after getting a newer car. I just kept walking around “her” and crying about how much I was going to miss “her”. My Dad cheered me up, told me it was going to be okay, we retrieved my belongings, and removed the tags. My “Ginger” was gone and she will never be forgotten.

**To Be Continued

via Daily Prompt: Abrupt



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s